Spreading the word on gender and environment linkages
IUCN has unique networking abilities as an Intergovernmental Organization. As a membership Union composed of both governments and civil society organizations, IUCN provides public, private, and non-governmental organizations with knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development, and nature conservation to take place together. IUCN harnesses the experience, resources, and reach of its 1,300 Member organizations and the input of over 10,000 experts through commissions. Leveraging this expansive base, AGENT works actively to promote USAID and IUCN developed thought leadership by advancing knowledge, advocacy, and capacity building at all levels.
AGENT provides on-demand thematic content, data, talking points, and other strategic communications products to enable critical advocacy around the importance of gender equality within USAID’s work to conserve the environment, manage natural resources, and meet its sustainability goals. Strategic communications products support USAID’s gender and sustainable development work in country-specific contexts—for example high-level talking points on gender and water management in Peru—and influencing how USAID sets future spending priorities on gender, clean air, environmental crime, and extractives.
AGENT’s Making the Case Series
AGENT also produces a Making the Case Series showcases advancements towards the achievement of gender equality in environmental sectors and identifies areas for further development and exploration. This series also aligns with US Government priorities and policies. Established as a Presidential Memorandum in 2019, the Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative (W-GDP) advances more prosperous and peaceful communities by empowering women to participate fully in civic and economic life. It focuses on investing in gender equality and women’s empowerment towards eradicating extreme poverty, building vibrant economies, and unlocking human potential on a transformative scale. Additionally, the US Government recently adopted the Women’s Entrepreneurship and Economic Empowerment Act (WEEE), which likewise calls for the promotion of women’s entrepreneurship and economic empowerment, mandating gender analyses, gender indicators, and monitoring and evaluation mechanisms towards implementation. Across USAID, the Agency’s Gender Equality and Female Empowerment Policy defines gender equality and female empowerment as core development objectives, fundamental for the realization of human rights.
Click below to access issues of the Making the Case Series:
- Brief: Making the Case for Women in the Energy Sector
- Brief: Making the Case for Gender Equality in Large-Scale Renewable Energy Infrastructure Development
Webinars showcasing best practices
AGENT leverages a wide network of international stakeholders, including IUCN state and non-state members, providing access to strategic cross-sectoral audiences. For example, the AGENT Webinar Series targets environmental sectors, such as energy and sustainable development sectors, to enable knowledge sharing with diverse stakeholders while presenting USAID best-practice examples. In 2018 alone, the AGENT Webinar Series reached over 1,600 participants.
Click below to review select recent AGENT-produced webinar recordings:
- AGENT Gender and Urban Services Webinar: Access, decision making, and economic empowerment
- AGENT Webinar: Gender and Fisheries – A Sea of Opportunities
- WiAP Webinar: The Power of Positive Leadership
- WiAP Webinar: Pitching Projects and Ideas to Investors in the Energy Sector
- La Serie de Webinars AGENT Energía: Hacia una transición energética con igualdad de género: experiencias de México
- La Serie de Webinars AGENT Energía: Políticas energéticas género-responsivas: experiencias de la región latinoamericana
- AGENT Energy Webinar: The gender and energy nexus in urban settings
- To access all AGENT-produced webinar recordings, click here.
Blogging About Gender and Environment Linkages and News
From discussing the impact of climate change on women’s health to learning more about women who work in male-dominated energy sectors, AGENT also regularly shares insight on projects and relevant issues.
Click below to review recent blogs:
- 10 July 2019 | Are transmission rates of tropical diseases linked to gender inequality?
- 08 March 2019 | A sea of opportunities for women’s empowerment, prosperity, and sustainability in fisheries
- 07 March 2019 | Large-Scale Renewables are More Effective When Women are Included
- 11 February 2019 | Powering energy, women’s empowerment, and social benefits in El Salvador’s geothermal sector
- 29 November 2018 | 16 Days of Activism to shine a spotlight on gender-based violence (GBV) and the environment
- 27 August 2018 | Energizing Equality in the African Energy Sector
- 15 June 2018 | Methodologies to Promote Gender-Responsive Climate Resilience
- 22 March 2018 | USAID and IUCN Partner to Advance Gender in the Environment