As a result of AGENT’s technical guidance, RCBP included information and strategies to address key gender issues, such as interventions to support women’s participation in local fisheries value chains and identifying gender indicators for its Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plan. AGENT also supported the project in leveraging entry points to mainstream gender into local sustainable management plans, which included gender being integrated in regional communications strategies on the importance of women’s roles and contributions toward the sustainable management of coastal biodiversity and related resources.
- August 17, 2018
Mainstreaming gender in regional biodiversity projects
Gender analyses are critically important for identifying and understanding how women can contribute to environmental solutions -- and disadvantaged when they are not considered.
AGENT provided gender technical support for USAID’s Regional Coastal Biodiversity Project in Central America (RCBP). This included a gender analysis for one of the project sites where information was gathered by conducting workshops and focus groups with local women and men.
- Access to Finance, Accessing and Controlling Natural Resources, Advancing Women's Participation and Leadership, Building Gender Knowledge and Capacities, Community, Decision Making, Gender Action Plans and Planning, Gender Analysis, Gender Indicators and Data, Gendered Work Burdens, Improving Financial Inclusion, Improving Financial Literacy, Integrating Gender in the Project Cycle, Technical Assistance, Unlocking Women's Economic Empowerment, Women's Associations and Cooperatives
- Adaptation and Resilience, Community-Based Adaptation, Ecosystem-Based Management, Nature-Based Solutions, Social Inclusion and Intersectionality
- Agroecosystems, Fisheries, Watershed Management
- El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Latin America and the Caribbean
- Development Agencies, Donors and Funds
- AGENT, IUCN
Sustainable Development Goals
- "Social inclusion of women, young people, indigenous peoples and vulnerable populations is a key element in the implementation of the RCBP." - RCBP Gender Strategy